Thursday, May 14, 2009

Quiz over elements of Gothic and American influences (first part of class).

Descriptive writing prompt #5:
Write a one page description of a Gothic character. In other words, create a character sketch that helps me 'see' the dark, quirky, obsessive or suppressed personality of a bitter or frightened main character.
DON'T just tell me about the character: "My character has red hair and kohl-lined eyes. She is angry and depressed." Instead show me the character: "You could tell from the slump of her shoulders and her downcast, shadowed eyes that life had not treated her well. Hiding behind her straight, shaggy red hair, her face was a mystery to me. I wanted to know the story behind that curtain of hair."

THE DESCRIPTIVE PROMPTS (all 5) WILL BE COLLECTED ON MONDAY!

We read "Frenriere" (an excerpt from Interview with a Vampire, by Anne Rice) to get a feel for the Southern Gothic as it has morphed in the last 50 years. We did not finish this story, and will compete it on Monday.